Thursday, November 15, 2007

Jamaican Restaurant in Boston

Just recently I traveled to Boston to eat at a Jamaican restaurant with a lot of people as part of a group association that we have here on campus. The restaurant was a very small restaurant smaller than the size of our classroom and it looked as if it was owned my friends or family. It was not a chain restaurant. Anyways, the atmosphere was very warm and welcoming and even though I have tried Jamaican food many times before I was excited to see how theirs tastes, because everybody makes them different. By them, I am referring to the different types of food: oxtail, curry goat, jerk chicken, fried dumplings, and rice. There were many other various types of food but those are the ones that I tend to favor with. I thought this restaurant would be a good addition to my blog because we just finished talking about food and how it can shape or be shaped by culture. In this culture food is very important because it is like none other. You won’t find oxtail is an American restaurant for example, and you definitely wouldn’t find curry goat on a daily American dinner plate that’s for sure. In this culture, I think that it is a mutual study to where food shapes and is also shaped by the culture. Jamaicans are also known for there food just like they are with their dancing. I think that the food shapes the culture, because food to Jamaicans is a relaxed and fun thing. When a lot of Jamaicans, as well as most of the people of Caribbean decent, get together to eat it is suppose to be thought of as a conversational part of the day. This shapes the culture because it makes the culture a more fun and free type. There is no stress in trying to be quiet while eating, or not having to worry about chewing with your mouth open; it is very relaxed. In some American homes, my dad’s for example, children are taught to not talk while eating and when you eat it is not time for conversation. I liked this Jamaican restaurant because I felt like I could take my time and enjoy my food. The food was great also!

No comments: